Friday, June 18, 2010

Genes

“It’s in his blood, this miserable existence. My rotten, putrid genes have infected my kid’s soul. That is my gift to my son.”
- Tony Soprano
The Sopranos (“Walk Like a Man”)

Vito is nearly flunking puppy school. He continues to stink at “heel.” He will not walk next to me. He’s always in front.
The teacher said he is trying to be the boss of me, and that I need to be firmer with him. When I deepen my voice to command him to heel, he does turn around and look at me with what appears to be a big, excited smile. Then he just pulls harder.
I have been depressed about this. Neither Vito nor I are ignorant, so why, I keep pondering, is this so difficult for us?
Then I saw this video of Nick and Vito. Everything became clear.
Walking next to me may not be in Vito’s DNA.

2 comments:

  1. Annemarie, I have bad news for you, my 8 month old Aussie will only NOT leash pull when I run with him. All those "tricks" they teach you at school to get a dog to heel -- peshaw. USELESS I tell ya! USELESS! I think he'll stop leash pulling when he's dead :-) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, he's ruined. Nick has brought him back to his roots, and he ain't never lookin' back!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add a comment!