Sunday, June 13, 2010

Circle of Life

Tommy: “Well, the poor thing, it got-- I hit him and this, uh-- We hit the deer and his paw -- What do you call that?”
Tommy's Mother: “The paw?”
Tommy: “The paw, the...”

Tommy's Mother: “The foot.” 

Jimmy: “The hoof.”
Tommy: “Yeah, the hoof got caught in the grill and I gotta, I gotta hack it off.”
Tommy's Mother: “Ooh.”
Tommy: “Ah, Ma, it's a sin, I can't leave it there, you know.”
 - Goodfellas

            So far, we’ve been very lucky with Vito. He doesn’t eat stuff  -- not a shoe, a cupboard door, or a piece of furniture – until now.
            Vito recently discovered this knickknack, which I keep on sill of our kitchen bay window. I thought it was safe because while he often looked at it, he never made a move to touch it.
             I have always enjoyed this trinket because it told a story. I think of a farm mother who made a pie and set it on the window to cool. Then kitty got a whiff of the sweet treat, and snuck a bite.  After his mischief, the cat gave himself a bath with his paw.
            Like the kitty, Vito succumbed to temptation. He could not resist biting off a piece of the ceramic cat’s ear.
            The cat eats ma’s pie. The dog eats the cat’s ear. What's next?
            Vito better be careful. Somewhere there’s a lion curious about the taste of Siberian Husky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add a comment!